Damian L. Albergo is a member of the firm’s Litigation Department. Known as a creative problem-solver and crisis manager, Damian represents individuals and small businesses as well as large corporations in disputes at state and federal courts in New Jersey and New York. Understanding that clients rarely want to engage in protracted litigation, Damian seeks to resolve disputes through the interplay of negotiations and settlement techniques in advance of litigation. When litigation is the right option, Damian is a skilled and formidable advocate for his clients.
Damian’s practice is focused on shareholder and partnership disputes, debtor and creditor disputes, real estate litigation, chancery litigation, complex and commercial litigation, mediation and arbitration. Damian also regularly represents condominium developers defending suits brought by condominium associations and individual unit owners.
Damian has played a prominent role in a variety of cases, including:
- Represented a minority shareholder of one of the largest private transportation companies in the world in his efforts to acquire control of the corporation.
- Represented minority partners of a joint venture against a large conglomerate of title insurance companies.
- Defended a Hudson County condominium developer against fraud and other claims filed by the condominium association seeking millions of dollars in damages.
- Defended a New York City condominium developer sued by the condominium association seeking substantial damages.
- Represented one of the world’s largest retail distributors of video games and video game systems in a variety of landlord/tenant disputes, leasing disputes and personal injury matters.
- Served as lead litigation counsel for EnCap Golf Holdings LLC, a North Jersey golf course and mixed use developer in numerous litigation proceedings.
- Defended a former officer of a well-known New Jersey construction company against civil racketeering claims.
- Represented an international automobile manufacturer in a franchise dispute with one of its dealers.
Damian is a member of the Bergen Leads Class of 2010. He has consistently been recognized for the quality of his legal work and was selected as a "Rising Star" by New Jersey Super Lawyers from 2009 through 2014. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology.
He has lectured to community organizations and authored articles on the no-fault removal of LLC members in New Jersey, federal and state wage and hour laws, personal liability of corporate officers, and pro se representation in the New Jersey state courts.
Damian earned his B.A. from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst in 1996, and his J.D. from New York Law School in 2000, where he graduated magna cum laude.
EducationNew York Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2000University of Massachusetts, B.A., 1996
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew Jersey, 2000U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2000New York, 2003U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2005U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2010U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2011
As published in: New Jersey Law Journal March 6, 2018
Damian Albergo explains the power of simply spelling things out in writing at the outset can save the headache of a business dispute
As published in: Investor's Business Daily February 23, 2017
March 27, 2013
Law360 December 18, 2017Damian L. Albergo
NJBIZ September 6, 2016Damian L. Albergo
Corporate Law Monitor February 16, 2016Damian L. Albergo
New Jersey Law Journal April 10, 2006Damian L. Albergo and Steven R. Klein