David M. Bass, a member of the firm’s Bankruptcy Department, has over 20 years of experience in bankruptcy and debtor-creditor matters including related litigation. His practice involves all aspects of restructurings of financially distressed businesses. David counsels Chapter 11 debtors, unsecured creditors' committees, secured and unsecured creditors, commercial landlords, purchasers of assets, shareholders, and other stakeholders and parties-in-interest in in-court and out-of-court proceedings.
Recognized each year since 2013 by Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, which has noted that David is a "great attorney" "with considerable experience in representing companies in restructurings, as well as advising commercial landlords and shareholders on bankruptcy matters." Chambers also remarks that David "comes recommended for his bankruptcy experience, handling both creditor and debtor-side representations," with sources highlighting "his expertise across various financing matters," and his "extraordinary performance from an extremely attentive and unbelievably accessible attorney." Most recently, as reflected in 2016 Chambers USA, market sources observed to Chambers that David "does an excellent job" and that he is "very creative and a very good lawyer." No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology.
David has been awarded an AV rating for his professionalism and the quality of his legal work from Martindale-Hubbell, the premier directory of legal professionals. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology.
After rejoining the firm in 2006, David has played a prominent role in representing an array of clients in Chapter 11 cases and other restructuring matters, including:
- Crumbs Bake Shop (Chapter 11 Debtor)
- MEE Apparel, leading wholesale and retail providers of youth apparel and streetwear under the “Ecko Unltd.” and “Unltd.” Brands (Chapter 11 Debtor)
- Marcal Paper Mills (Chapter 11 Debtor)
- Princeton Ski Shop (Chapter 11 Debtor)
- Ronson Corporation (Chapter 11 Debtor)
- J.G. Wentworth (Chapter 11 Debtor)
- EnCap Golf Holdings (Chapter 11 Debtor)
- 710 Long Ridge Road Operating Co. II, LLC (Chapter 11 Debtor)
- Prestige Window Fashions (Chapter 11 Debtor)
- Big M, Inc. (Mandee’s, Annie Sez) (Shareholders)
- Strauss Auto (Purchaser of Assets)
- Extended Stay (Mezzanine Lender Group)
- A&P (Union)
- Trump Entertainment Resorts (Prominent former directors and licensors of trade names and other intellectual property to debtors)
David regularly represents defendants in adversary proceedings, including with respect to the avoidance of preferential and fraudulent transfers and also has significant experience investigating and pursuing fraudulent conveyance and other causes of action for the benefit of bankruptcy estates, including his representation, with other members of the firm, of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the following cases:
- Patriot Coal Corporation
- Linens ‘N Things
- Brown Publishing
Additionally, David has lectured and authored materials on various bankruptcy-related topics for the Institute for New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), the New Jersey State Bar Association and other organizations, including regularly serving as a panelist and moderator for the Annual William H. Gindin Bankruptcy Bench-Bar Conference.
David is a member of the State Bars of New York and New Jersey and is admitted to practice before the Southern and Eastern and Districts of New York, the District of New Jersey and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He earned his Bachelor of Science in Management from The A.B. Freeman School of Business at Tulane University and his J.D. from the New York Law School. He is resident in the New York office.
- In re Trump Entertainment Resorts, Inc., 526 B.R. 116 (Bankr. D. Del. 2014)
- In re One2One Communications, LLC, 2014 WL 3882467, 2014 Bankr. LEXIS 3401 (Bankr. D.N.J. August 07, 2014)
- In re 710 Long Ridge Road Operating Company, II, LLC, 2014 WL 1648725, 2014 Bankr. LEXIS 1914 (Bankr. D.N.J. April 24, 2014)
- In re 710 Long Ridge Road Operating Company, II, LLC, 505 B.R. 163 (Bankr. D.N.J. 2014)
- In re 710 Long Ridge Road Operating Company, II, LLC, 518 B.R. 810 (Bankr. D.N.J. 2014)
- NLRB v. 710 Long Ridge Rd. Operating Co. II, LLC, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 29864; 198 L.R.R.M. 2679 (D.N.J. March 6, 2014)
- In re 710 Long Ridge Road Operating Co., II, LLC, 2013 WL 796721, 195 L.R.R.M. (BNA), 233 (Bankr. D.N.J. March 4, 2013)
- In re Big M, Inc., 2013 WL 1681489; 2013 Bankr. LEXIS 2027 (Bankr. D.N.J. April 17, 2013)
- In re EnCap Golf Holdings, LLC, 2008 WL 3193786 (Bankr. D.N.J. August 04, 2008)
- PHP Liquidating LLC v. Pricewaterhousecoopers LLP (In re PHP Healthcare Corp.), 2002 Bankr. LEXIS 449; 49 Collier Bankr. Cas. 2d (MB) 132; 39 Bankr. Ct. Dec. 138 (Bankr. D. Del. May 7, 2002)
- In re Trump Entertainment Resorts, Unite Here Local 54, 810 F.3d 161 (3d Cir. 2016) (Amicus Appellees)
EducationNew York Law School, J.D., 1994Tulane University, A.B. Freeman School of Business, B.S., 1991
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew Jersey, 1994U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1994U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1995U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, 2002New York, 2009
May 3, 2018
May 30, 2017
May 27, 2016
David Hurst, Nicholas Brannick, David Bass and Daniel Geoghan were mentioned in an article titled, "Yahoo Resists Releasing Email Account In Irish Bank Ch. 15"
As published in: Law360 March 1, 2016
David Hurst, Nicholas Brannick, David Bass and Daniel Geoghan were mentioned in the article, "Yahoo Must Give Up Emails In Ch. 15 Probe, Irish Bank Says"
As published in: Law360 February 25, 2016
Michael Sirota and David Bass were mentioned in the article, "Mr. Olympia Slams Bankrupt Nutrition Co. In Branding Row"
As published in: Law360 September 2, 2015
Chambers USA Recognizes 19 Cole Schotz Attorneys, Six Practice Areas Maryland Bankruptcy/Restructuring Team Debuts On Ranking
May 19, 2015
As published in: Daily Bankruptcy Review November 14, 2014
Seventeen attorneys and four practice areas in three states make prestigious list May 23, 2014
One Person’s Problems is Another Person's Opportunity-Purchasing a Business and Assets out of a Bankruptcy Case, CLE Presentation at Cole Schotz New Jersey OfficeAttorneys Speaking: David M. Bass and Jill B. BienstockDecember 15, 2016
New York Law Journal June 14, 2017David M. Bass and Mark Tsukerman
New York Law Journal June 13, 2016David M. Bass
Law360 February 3, 2014David M. Bass, Michael D. Sirota and Ryan T. Jareck
Post-Petition Attorneys’ Fees Stemming From a Prepetition Indemnity Agreement are ‘Categorically Allowable’
New Jersey Law Journal January 20, 2010David M. Bass