Heather L. Demirjian uses her broad range of experience in state and federal environmental law to craft creative solutions to her clients’ complex environmental needs. Heather represents and counsels a wide array of clients, including real estate developers, banking institutions, commercial, industrial and manufacturing operations, data centers, oil and gas companies, municipal utilities, and government entities. She counsels clients with an eye toward finding ways to use the requirements of environmental law to support her clients’ strategic objectives and to minimize the impacts of those requirements on their business needs.
Heather has significant experience assisting clients on environmental transactional, regulatory and litigation matters, including:
• Counseling a national real estate investment trust in obtaining state and federal environmental permits and securing the first waiver of New Jersey Coastal Zone Management Rule requirements under the N.J. Dept. of Environmental Protection Waiver Rule for a $1 billion mixed use waterfront development in Camden, New Jersey.
• Negotiating favorable environmental contractual provisions and managing Seller’s disclosures and ISRA compliance obligations for a wood door finishing and warehousing company’s asset sale to a public national door manufacturing entity.
• Counseling an international airline in obtaining, modifying, and transferring Clean Air Act Title V, NPDES, Storage Tank, RCRA, and Pa. Dept. of Environmental Protection permits and risk management plans for the acquisition and operation of an oil refinery.
• Successfully resolving U.S. EPA Clean Water Act violations and obtaining penalty reductions for a national gas pipeline company for releases during the construction of a natural gas pipeline.
• Conducting an internal investigation for a national chemical manufacturer in connection with potential violations under various state and federal environmental statutes.
• Defending a national railroad against liability in large, multi-party Superfund site matters for sites in New Jersey, Maryland, New York, and
• Negotiating a favorable settlement of claims against a client under Massachusetts law for the reimbursement of remediation costs incurred by a municipal entity for historic PCB and PAH contamination.
Heather is on the Board of Directors for the Environmental Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association and is a member of the Delaware Valley Environmental American Inn of Court. She has taught environmental litigation courses as an Adjunct Professor at Rutgers University School of Law in Camden, New Jersey and has coached the law school’s Pace University National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition team.
Prior to joining the firm, Heather was a senior environmental associate in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at an international firm, and led the environmental practice group at a leading regional New Jersey law firm.
While in law school, Heather participated in the Stetson University International Environmental Moot Court Competition and the Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition. Heather also clerked for the Environmental Enforcement Section of the United States Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. and for the United States Environmental Protection Agency in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Heather earned her B.A. from Rutgers University in 2002, and her J.D. from Rutgers University School of Law in 2005. Upon completion of law school, Heather clerked for the Hon. Carol E. Higbee, Presiding Judge Civil Division, Superior Court, Atlantic County, New Jersey, where she worked on Vioxx, Accutane, and Hormone Replacement Therapy mass tort litigation matters.
Veiled Environmental Liability: Exposure of Parent Corporations, Officers and Successors, CLE Presentation at Cole Schotz New Jersey OfficeAttorneys Speaking: David M. Kohane, Emily Lamond and Heather L. DemirjianJanuary 26, 2017
Environmental Law March 30, 2017Heather L. Demirjian
Environmental Law October 19, 2016Heather L. Demirjian
The Chronicle, Southern New Jersey Development Council Summer 2016, Vo. 12Heather L. Demirjian
Environmental Regulations and Small Business – You Might Be Surprised
The Voice, Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce Fall, 2015Heather L. Demirjian
The Legal Intelligencer, with Michael L. Krancer, Margaret Anne Hill, and Frank L. Tamulonis III June 20, 2014Heather L. Demirjian
Shale Gas Leasing – Achieving Clarity, Transparency and Conservation: Recent Actions of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and Legislature
Pennsylvania Bar Association Quarterly with Michael L. Krancer, Margaret A. Hill, Timothy M. Ellis, and Dayna C. Finkelstein July, 2013Heather L. Demirjian
Shale Development and Fracking Litigation Trends
The Legal Intelligencer with Margaret Anne Hill and Mary Ann Mullaney July 31, 2012Heather L. Demirjian
Supreme Court Issues Stunning Rebuke to EPA Enforcement Practice
Mondaq with Kevin J. Bruno, Margaret A. Hill, and Benjamin G. Stonelake April 12, 2012Heather L. Demirjian