Ilana Volkov is a member in the firm’s Bankruptcy and Corporate Restructuring Department. She has over 25 years of experience representing debtors, unsecured creditors' committees, pre-petition and DIP lenders, purchasers of assets, commercial landlords and other contract parties, shareholders, and other parties-in-interest in all aspects of complex business reorganizations, distressed M&A transactions and related litigation. Ilana also has extensive experience in cross-border insolvency proceedings.
Ilana's experience includes:
- Tai-Soo Suk, the duly appointed foreign representative of Hanjin Shipping Co., Ltd. in the Chapter 15 proceeding of Hanjin Shipping Co., Ltd. (New Jersey);
- DirectBuy Holdings, Inc. et al. in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings (Delaware);
- Nicholas G.A. Denton in his Chapter 11 proceeding (Southern District of New York);
- Wakefern Food Corp. as the stalking horse purchaser of 12 commercial real property leases and related assets of The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc. et al. (Southern District of New York);
- GameStop Corp. and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Spring Communications Holding Corp., as the designation rights purchaser of 163 commercial real property leases and assignee of substantially all those leases in the Chapter 11 cases of RadioShack Corporation et al. (Delaware);
- Fresh & Easy, LLC in its Chapter 11 proceeding (co-counsel, Delaware);
- The largest fourth lien noteholder in the Chapter 11 proceedings of Old HB, Inc. (f/k/a Hostess Brands, Inc.) et al. (Southern District of New York);
- Highland CDO Opportunity Master Fund, L.P. in the Chapter 11 proceedings of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., et al. (Southern District of New York);
- An affiliate of Spencer Spirit Holdings, Inc. as the stalking horse plan sponsor of Brookstone Holdings Corp., et al. (Delaware);
- DPH Holdings Corp. (f/k/a Delphi Corporation) in dissolution under Delaware law;
- Various depositors/creditors in the Chapter 15 proceeding of Caledonian Bank (Southern District of New York);
- The insolvency administrator over the estate of Qimonda AG in the Chapter 15 proceeding of Qimonda AG (conflicts counsel, Eastern District of Virginia);
- Madison Capital Holdings LLC as the designation rights purchaser in the Chapter 11 proceedings of Loehmann's Holdings Inc., et al. (Southern District of New York).
Ilana is a sought after speaker on restructuring topics including cross-border insolvencies and the intersection between bankruptcy and maritime law.
She is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association (Bankruptcy Law Section); American Bankruptcy Institute; the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC); and the New York City Bar Association Committee on Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization. Ilana founded the IWIRC-NJ Network in 2004, was a member of its Board of Directors, and served on the International Board of IWIRC for many years. Ilana is the recipient of the 2016 IWIRC-NJ Network Woman of the Year Award.
Ilana earned her B.A. from Columbia University and her J.D. from the University of California at Los Angeles School of Law. During law school, she interned for the Honorable Calvin K. Ashland, then United States Bankruptcy Judge for the Central District of California and a member of the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Born in Riga, Latvia, Ilana is fluent in Russian.
EducationUniversity of California at Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1991Columbia University, B.A., 1988
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew Jersey, 1991U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1991New York, 1992U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1992U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1992U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1995
August 15, 2018
May 3, 2018
March 19, 2018
As published in: Law360 October 4, 2017
August 15, 2017
Ilana Volkov spoke with Debtwire Radio about the purpose of Chapter 15 filings as well as the unique challenges involved in the Hanjin Shipping case.
As published in: Debtwire July 13, 2017
Ilana Volkov discusses retail Bankruptcy processes in "RadioShack's Bankruptcy Shows Why 'Chapter 22' Is The Hottest 2017 Retail Trend"
As published in: Forbes March 17, 2017
As published in: Best Lawyers Business Edition 2017: Women in the Law Spring 2017
As published in: Law360 February 13, 2017
As published in: Law360 January 18, 2017
As published in: Law360 December 14, 2016
December 13, 2016
Ilana Volkov and Norman Pernick discuss DirectBuy getting cash collateral access to fund sale plans in Law360
As published in: Law360 November 4, 2016
Cole Schotz was mentioned in the WSJ article, "South Korea’s Hanjin Shipping Files for U.S. Bankruptcy Protection"
As published in: The Wall Street Journal September 6, 2016
August 15, 2016
Cole Schotz was mentioned in an article titled, "Gawker Founder Nick Denton Files For Personal Bankruptcy"
As published in: Forbes August 1, 2016
As published in: The Deal February 12, 2016
Ilana Volkov is speaking on Hanjin maritime bankruptcy at the NYC Bar Admiralty Committee’s last 2016-2017 season meetingAttorney Speaking: Ilana VolkovMay 9, 2017
Ilana Volkov is featured as a subject matter expert and faculty member at the M & A Advisor 2017 Leadership Conference, The 2017 Distressed Investing SummitAttorney Speaking: Ilana VolkovMarch 22-23, 2017
Michael Sirota, Ilana Volkov, and Edward Kiel are speaking at the 19th Annual William H. Gindin Bankruptcy Bench Bar ConferenceAttorneys Speaking: Michael D. Sirota, Ilana Volkov and Edward Sun KielMarch 10, 2017
Practice Tips for Real Estate Lenders When a Borrower Files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy: CLE Presentation at Cole Schotz New Jersey OfficeAttorneys Speaking: Ilana Volkov and Michael R. YellinFebruary 16, 2017
Bankruptcy & Restructuring Law July 23, 2018Ilana Volkov
The Cautionary Tale of Arcapita: Foreign Banks Are Subject to U.S. Jurisdiction if They Use a U.S. Bank Account for Foreign Transactions
American Bankruptcy Institute February 1, 2018Ilana Volkov and Mark Tsukerman
Practical Law January 2018Ilana Volkov
Tidewater Inc. Settles Its Remaining Charter Agreement Rejection Damage Claim After Judge Shannon Found Stipulated Loss Value Provision to be an Unenforceable Penalty
Bankruptcy & Restructuring Law December 6, 2017Ilana Volkov
Corporate Counsel February 23, 2015Ilana Volkov
ABI Journal August Edition, 2013Ilana Volkov and Ryan T. Jareck
New Jersey Law Journal January 23, 2012Leo V. Leyva, Ilana Volkov and Felice R. Yudkin
Westlaw Journal Bankruptcy September 2, 2011Ryan T. Jareck and Ilana Volkov
Law Journal Newsletters August, 2011Ilana Volkov and Felice R. Yudkin
ABI Journal July/August 2010Ilana Volkov and Felice R. Yudkin
Cole Schotz Docket May 31, 2008Ilana Volkov
Bankruptcy & Restructuring Law MonitorIlana Volkov