Jenny R. Flom is special counsel in the firm’s Litigation Department. Jenny’s practice focuses on probate litigation, including guardianship actions, special needs trust litigation, and estate and trust litigation. Jenny represents clients in obtaining guardianship over their incapacitated loved ones. She also represents clients in petitioning state courts to reform and establish special needs trusts. Jenny also regularly works with clients and their matrimonial counsel in connection with divorce proceedings regarding issues related to special needs planning and guardianship.
Some of Jenny’s representative matters include:
- Successfully obtaining multiple judgments reforming and establishing special needs trusts, enabling clients and their loved ones to qualify for government benefits.
- Obtaining numerous judgments of guardianship for parents over their adult children with special needs, and for adult children over their parents with dementia, in uncontested and contested guardianship actions.
- After and during acrimonious divorce proceedings, successfully litigating and obtaining judgments of guardianship for parents over their developmentally disabled adult children when contested by the child’s other parent.
- After litigating in two jurisdictions (New Jersey and Florida), successfully obtaining a judgment of guardianship for a daughter over her elderly father with progressive dementia who was unlawfully taken to Florida without notice to his children.
- Favorably settling a guardianship action between two parties in connection with an acrimonious divorce proceeding.
- Successfully obtaining temporary guardianship pending a final hearing for parents of an emotionally disturbed adult child in order to provide the adult child with necessary medical treatment.
- Obtaining a judgment in the Supreme Court of the State of New York in a case of first impression authorizing the transfer of settlement proceeds in the amount of over $1 million to a New Jersey Special Needs Trust.
- Resolving and litigating various estate matters, including disputes involving will contests, trust reformations, undue influence, and breaches of fiduciary duty.
Recognized for the quality of her legal work and professionalism, Jenny has been recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” for 2014-2016. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology.
In addition to her guardianship and estate litigation practice, Jenny also successfully represents retailers, major financial institutions, technology companies, manufacturers, commercial landlords, small business owners, and individuals in complex commercial litigation matters such as breach of contract actions, commercial landlord-tenant actions, business disputes, insurance coverage litigation, securities litigation, and employment related-matters before the state and federal district courts. Jenny has also advised New Jersey quasi-legislative bodies regarding state and federal regulatory and statutory compliance and defended claims against State entities.
An associate of the firm since 2007, Jenny represented the following clients, among others:
- VW Credit, Inc.
- New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority
- The Merit Group, Inc.
- Vitaquest International, LLC
- RAR2 – The Green at Park Place East – NJ, Inc.
- Sussex Bank
- ITechnology Group, LLC
- Westminster Capital, LLC
- Bonanno Real Estate Group, L.P.
- Reebok International, Ltd.
- The Azarian Group, LLC.
- Dunkin Donuts Franchise Group
- The Valley Hospital
Jenny is active in numerous industry and professional organizations including as a committee member on the Fair Lawn ADA Advisory Committee. Jenny is also a member of the Justice Morris Pashman Inn of Court where she graduated with the distinction of Barrister, a member of the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association and a member of the Bergen County Bar Association. Jenny also actively participates as a Judge in the Vincent J. Apruzzese Mock Trial Competition and is an alumni mentor for students at New England Law - Boston. Jenny also volunteers with Dorot USA to assist low income elderly adults and families with disaster and emergency relief.
Jenny earned her J.D. from New England Law - Boston. While in law school, Jenny was a Note and Comment Editor of the New England Journal on Criminal and Civil Confinement and received the CALI Excellence Award in Clinical Evidence.
Prior to joining Cole Schotz, Jenny served as law clerk to the Honorable Sybil R. Moses, Assignment Judge for the Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County. During her time as a law clerk, Jenny also became a certified mediator and mediated many cases for the Special Civil Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County.
EducationNew England Law/Boston, J.D., 2006, Note and Comment Editor, New England Journal on Criminal and Civil ConfinementRutgers College, Rutgers University, B.A., 2003
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew Jersey, 2006District of Columbia, 2015New York, 2017U.S. District Court of New Jersey, 2006Third Circuit Court of Appeals of New Jersey, 2015U.S. Supreme Court, 2016
As published in: Thrive Global January 3, 2019
January 27: Complete your estate-planning documents — such as a power of attorney form and healthcare directive — to remain in control of your life.
As published in: Business Insider January 9, 2018
As published in: Business Insider January 1, 2018
There's a legal way for someone to take your home, your stuff, and your money — but everyone ignores the two documents that can help keep you safe
As published in: Business Insider October 8, 2017
January 4, 2016
April 1, 2014
Advising Fiduciary Clients: Critical Issues When Representing Executors, Trustees, & Guardians CLE Presentation at Bergen County Bar AssociationAttorneys Speaking: Jenny R. Flom, Christopher P. Massaro and Tishya M. SignorelliDecember 12, 2017
A Guide to Estate and Financial Planning and Guardianships for Families of Children with Special NeedsAttorneys Speaking: Lori I. Wolf and Jenny R. FlomDecember 6, 2017
The Role of Fiduciaries – Legal and Ethical Considerations for Executors, Trustees, Guardians and their Attorneys, CLE presentation at the Bergen County Bar AssociationAttorneys Speaking: Jenny R. Flom, Christopher P. Massaro and Steven M. SaraiskyJune 26, 2015
Guardianships and Estate Planning for Families of Children with Special Needs, Presentation at the Fair Lawn Association for Special EducationAttorneys Speaking: Lori I. Wolf and Jenny R. FlomApril 15, 2015
A Primer on Adult Guardianship Actions, CLE presentation at the Bergen County Bar AssociationAttorney Speaking: Jenny R. FlomOctober 8, 2014
A Primer on Civil Motion Practice, CLE presentation at the Bergen County Bar AssociationAttorneys Speaking: Cameron A. Welch and Jenny R. FlomNovember 26, 2013
Outsourcing Document Reviews, Women in E-Discovery New Jersey ChapterAttorney Speaking: Jenny R. FlomOctober 18, 2011
New Jersey Law Journal April 30, 2018Christopher P. Massaro, Jenny R. Flom and Michael J. Kearney
New Jersey Special Needs Law September 11, 2017Jenny R. Flom
Adults with Special Needs May Soon Be Able to Streamline the Process to Establish First Party Special Needs Trusts on Their Own: A Review of the Special Needs Trust Fairness Act
New Jersey Law For Special Needs Children October 14th, 2015Jenny R. Flom
Tax, Trusts & Estates Law Monitor September 29,2015Christopher P. Massaro and Jenny R. Flom
Jenny Yampolsky, Comment, New Criminal Defense Tools Leveling the Playing Field: Wanted Posters on the Internet
32 N.E.J. on Crim. & Civ. Con. 279 (2006). August 11, 2013Jenny R. Flom
New Jersey Law For Special Needs Children July 18th, 2013Jenny R. Flom