Michael C. Klauder, an associate in the Litigation Department, represents small business owners, commercial landlords and residential developers among others in the real estate and construction industries. He has resolved numerous contentious issues involving eviction, foreclosure, construction defects, and contract disputes. Michael understands that no matter the contention, it is imperative that his client be able to maintain operations with the least amount of disruption.
His experience includes:
- Represented one of the largest international franchisors in a variety of landlord/tenant and leasing disputes. In each case, Michael resolved the dispute and regained possession of the property for the franchisor.
- Defended a Hudson County condominium developer against construction defect and other claims filed by the condominium association seeking millions of dollars in damages.
- Represented a large multinational provider of global work space in an effort to reacquire control of its properties.
- Represented co-members of a joint venture in a dispute against the other members involving several multi-million dollar hotels, resulting in exclusive title to a multi-million dollar hotel as well as a multi-million dollar damage award.
- Represented a commercial landlord before the United States Board of Contract Appeals in an action to enforce the terms of a lease agreement and compel the United States Postal Service to perform repair work on the exterior of the property, resulting in a favorable early settlement wherein the USPS agreed to promptly fund all the required repair work.
- Represented a number of New Jersey-based real estate developers in resolving heavily contested foreclosures.
- Defended numerous New Jersey franchisees against various claims asserted by franchisors, suppliers and vendors.
- Defended a small business owner in Bergen County against numerous citations and adverse actions undertaken by a local building inspector.
- Defended a co-op association against claims discrimination and other claims filed by a former employee.
- Represents a Major League Baseball organization in asserting and defending claims against its former branding agency .
- Defended numerous small businesses in New York City against wage and hour claims asserted by current and former employees.
Michael earned his B.A., magna cum laude, from Rutgers University and his J.D., cum laude, from Rutgers School of Law – Camden. While in law school, he was a member of the Rutgers Journal of Law and Public Policy and served as a teaching assistant for legal writing and worked as a judicial intern in the chambers of the Hon. Renee Marie Bumb, a U.S. District Judge.
EducationRutgers Law School- Camden, J.D., cum laude, 2013Rutgers University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2010
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew Jersey , 2014New York, 2014U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2016
Intellectual Property Law March 30, 2017Michael C. Klauder
Real Estate & Construction Law Monitor April 26, 2016Adam J. Sklar and Michael C. Klauder
IP Law Outlook February 4, 2016Michael C. Klauder