Richard W. AbramsonMemberrabramson@coleschotz.com New Jersey Office
Court Plaza North, 25 Main Street, Hackensack, NJ 07601
New York Office
1325 Avenue of the Americas, 19th Floor, New York, NY 10019
T: 201-525-6218 / C: 201-415-2361 / F: 201-678-6218
Legal Practice Assistant : Wendy Zuppa
T: 201-489-3000, ext. 5002
Richard W. Abramson is co-chairman of both the firm’s Real Estate Department and the Real Estate Special Opportunities Group. "The 'excellent' Richard Abramson is well regarded by commentators, who view him as a 'standout attorney' in this space. His impressive expertise spans dispositions, acquisitions, retail leasing and development. His client base includes developers, investors, and tenants and owners" (Chambers 2015 Edition, America’s Leading Lawyers For Business). Designated a “fantastic leasing lawyer, with first-class client service skills,” and described as someone who "can view a matter from a business perspective and not just a legal one" by Chambers USA 2013 and 2014 editions. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology. Richard counsels property owners, developers, real estate equity and opportunity funds, real estate investment trusts, investors, owners and tenants in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions. His practice is national in scope and encompasses a broad range of transactions, with particular emphasis on acquisitions, dispositions, development and retail leasing. His professional focus also includes the management, financing and construction of commercial, retail, industrial and residential properties; mezzanine financings; joint ventures; and the acquisition and disposition of distressed debt.
A Member of the firm since 1989, Richard has played a prominent role in representing an array of real estate entities including:
- A developer in the development and leasing of a 400,000 square-foot Shopping Center in Teterboro, NJ;
- A real estate opportunity fund in the acquisition, financing, and disposition of two office buildings located on 17th Street, New York, NY;
- A car dealership in the leasing, development and financing of a BMW service facility;
- A real estate opportunity fund in the acquisition and financing of an office building located at 1375 Broadway, New York, NY;
- A private REIT in the acquisition of Metro Corporate Campus, a 271,600 square-foot office building in Iselin, NJ;
- An investment fund in the acquisition of distressed debt and the origination of senior and subordinated debt;
- A publicly traded REIT in the leasing and development of a 310,000 square-foot shopping center in Westbury, NY;
- A publicly traded REIT in the acquisition, development and leasing of a 408,000 square-foot shopping center in North Bergen, NJ and in the acquisition and leasing of Bergen Town Center, Paramus, NJ;
- A publicly traded REIT in the acquisition and leasing of a commercial condominium located at 161 West 16, New York, NY for a Barneys Department Store;
- A real estate fund in the acquisition of an office building located at 2000 Market St., Philadelphia, PA;
- A developer in the leasing of a 175,000 square-foot newly constructed office building in Hanover, NJ to be used as the corporate headquarters for a telecommunication company; and
- A health insurer in connection with the lease of a 800,000 square feet building in Newark, NJ to be used as their corporate headquarters.
Consistently awarded high marks for the quality of his legal work and practical advice, Richard has garnered professional accolades from Martindale-Hubbell, Real Estate Law, Real Estate Weekly, Real Estate New Jersey and N.Y. Magazine. In 2013, and 2015 he was “Lawyer of the Year,” in Hackensack Real Estate Law, Best Lawyers edition. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology.
As a member of the Advisory Board of The George Washington University School of Business Center for Real Estate and Urban Analysis, Richard has been a frequent guest lecturer at the graduate business school. He is an active member of the International Council of Shopping Centers and is Chairman of the Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey. Richard is also a Certified Public Accountant.
Richard earned his B.B.A. from George Washington University and his J.D. from the University of Miami School of Law.
EducationUniversity of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1984The George Washington University, B.B.A., 1981
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew Jersey, 1984Florida, 1984New York, 2009New Jersey Supreme CourtU.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1984District of Columbia, 2008
August 15, 2018
As published in: GlobeSt June 4, 2018
May 3, 2018
March 19, 2018
August 15, 2017
May 30, 2017
Richard Abramson was mentioned as a moderator in, "Walkable Urban Areas and Their Impact Are Focus of CIANJ Meeting
As published in: NJBIZ April 7, 2017
Rich Abramson, Leo Leyva, and Jordan Metzger are featured in “Investors Shifting into Risk-Off Mode,”
As published in: Real Estate Finance & Investment February 22, 2017
August 15, 2016
May 27, 2016
Richard Abramson and Elizabeth Navatto handled the Saks deal captured in article titled, "High-end discount department store makes it official for D.C."
As published in: Washington Business Journal April 8, 2016
As published in: GlobeSt.com June 30, 2015
As published in: Law 360 June 15, 2015
Chambers USA Recognizes 19 Cole Schotz Attorneys, Six Practice Areas Maryland Bankruptcy/Restructuring Team Debuts On Ranking
May 19, 2015
TIAA-CREF Buys Tower In Path Of Progress
As published in: Real Estate Weekly November 27, 2014