A member in the firm’s Bankruptcy & Corporate Restructuring Department since 1993, Stuart Komrower has a varied practice as a leading debtor-creditor practitioner. He has extensive experience in representing debtors, creditors, trustees, creditors’ committees and litigants before the state, federal and bankruptcy courts in numerous jurisdictions. His practice includes a concentration in secured creditor asset recoveries, debtor-in possession financing and Section 363 sales and dispositions under Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
Stuart has been recognized in Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, an internationally recognized ranking derived from extensive client and peer interviews and reviews, which has noted that "Stuart Komrower is a well-known figure in the bankruptcy arena…He practices in complex bankruptcy disputes," having been recognized “as a result of his intelligent reputation” and as “an attorney who ‘won't keep the meter running just for the sake of it’ when acting for clients.” Stuart has also been selected by his peers for inclusion in the prestigious Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law since 2010 and is regularly included in the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology.
Having been with Cole Schotz since 1987, Stuart has played leading roles in the following significant cases:
- Representation of Yorkville Advisors in a trial of a $97 million fraudulent transfer matter;
- Counsel for Hartz Mountain Industries in American Commercial Incorporated;
- Representation of leading criminal defense firm in obtaining a summary judgment award dismissing a multimillion dollar fraudulent transfer claim suit;
- Conflicts counsel to the official committee of unsecured creditors in Patriot Coal Corporation;
- Conflicts counsel to the official committee of unsecured creditors in Parmalat U.S.A.;
- Counsel for secured debt holder LV Administrative Services in Pac-West Telecom, PPM Technologies, Prolink Holdings Corp. and various other matters;
- Representation of the Chapter 11 trustee in a successful plan of reorganization in IVM Corporation;
- Counsel for the official committee of unsecured creditors in First Interregional Advisors;
- Counsel for a national sports franchise owner in the acquisition of assets in Bridgewater Sports Arena;
- Counsel for the official committee of unsecured creditors in Krauzer’s Convenience Stores; and
- Counsel for the official committee of unsecured creditors in Accessory Place.
Stuart has been involved in the following professional activities and organizations:
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Debtor-Creditor Section
- Bergen County Bar Association, past chairman, Debtor-Creditor Section
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey, mediator
- Bankruptcy Inn of Court, master
- District Fee Arbitration Committee, panel chair
He has lectured on bankruptcy and debtor-creditor related topics for various organizations, including the Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the National Association of Credit Managers and the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants.
Stuart earned his A.B. degree in International Affairs from Lafayette College and his J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law.
EducationSeton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1984Lafayette College, A.B., 1981
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew Jersey, 1984New York, 1985U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1984Supreme Court of New Jersey, 1984Supreme Court of New York, 1985U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1994U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2001U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2001
March 19, 2018
As published in: Cision PR Newswire August 22, 2017
August 15, 2017
May 30, 2017
Stuart Komrower provides suggestions in "Even Mighty Costco Isn't Immune From Being Disrupted by Rising Inflation and Heated Price Wars"
As published in: The Street March 6, 2017
August 15, 2016
May 27, 2016
Chambers USA Recognizes 19 Cole Schotz Attorneys, Six Practice Areas Maryland Bankruptcy/Restructuring Team Debuts On Ranking
May 19, 2015
As published in: Best Lawyers August 18, 2014
Seventeen attorneys and four practice areas in three states make prestigious list May 23, 2014
April 1, 2014
August 15, 2013
May 24, 2013
March 27, 2013
Stuart Komrower gives predictions in, "Retail Pressures That Doomed Sports Authority May Spread to Wholesale, Real Estate in 2017"
TheStreet November 28, 2016Stuart Komrower
American Bar Association: Section of Litigation, Bankruptcy & Insolvency June 11, 2015Stuart Komrower
New Jersey Law Journal United Artists Theatre Company clears up the confusion. Or does it? February 3, 2003Stuart Komrower