Alan is a member of the Corporate and Business Transactions Department and the Tax, Trust and Estates Department. He is consistently recognized as a superlative legal advisor. Alan has been selected for many years including currently by his peers to be included in both the prestigious Best Lawyers in America directory (for Corporate Law), the New Jersey Super Lawyers directory (for Mergers and Acquisitions), and to receive the top AV rating in Martindale Hubbell. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology. His professional focus includes mergers and acquisitions, joint venture planning, secured financings, shareholder and partner governance and acquisition and disposition of distressed debt. His practice is national in scope and he has extensive experience in implementing tax, business, and estate planning strategies for closely held businesses and venture capital.
A member of Cole Schotz since 1990, Alan has managed or played a significant role in transactions involving:
- Joint venture planning in connection with the acquisition of multiple mixed use commercial buildings in Manhattan.
- Sale of a national product manufacturer in a transaction valued in excess of $100 million
- Purchase of a regional retail utility provider in a transaction in excess of $150 million.
- Acquisition of a textile manufacturing plant in North Carolina.
- Sale of a textile manufacturing plant in South Carolina.
- Sale of an electronics manufacturer with multiple plants and a pharmaceutical manufacturer to different private equity fund in transactions valued at $150 million.
- Design and implementation of management buyouts of private and public entities.
- Strategic planning for debtors and creditors in bankruptcy restructuring, including Section 363 sales and maximizing tax attributes, including representation of Ronson Aviation, Ronson Consumer Products and Tarragon Real Estate Funds.
- Restructuring troubled corporate and limited liability entities to avoid bankruptcy through debt and equity adjustments, including in connection with a regional restaurant chain for a private equity firm, and a technology based manufacturer for an existing creditor group .
- Secured financing facilities in excess of $50 million for various clients including in consumer products, nondurable goods manufacturing, and international shipping.
- Mezzanine financing of New York commercial real estate and purchases and sales of interests in outstanding debt instruments secured by commercial real estate.
- Food distribution business as the seller in a $90 million acquisition by a national distributor.
Alan has addressed symposia sponsored by the New Jersey Bar Association, New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants and local business groups. He has lectured to the Master of Business Administration programs at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and the Graduate School of Business of Columbia University. He is a contributing author of a chapter in the New Jersey Tax Handbook (ALM), and a chapter soon to be published dealing with taxation in New Jersey environmental matters. He has been quoted in several periodicals including the Bergen Record and the New York Times. He has served for many years on the Board of Directors of the Penn Club of Metropolitan New Jersey and was elected its President this year. He has served on several committees of the New Jersey Bar Association and New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants. In addition, Alan was appointed to the Citizen's Financial Advisory Committee of Millburn Township, New Jersey, and serves on the Board of Trustee for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Greater North Jersey Chapter.
Alan is a certified public accountant and is admitted to the bars of New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, the District of Columbia and the United States Tax Court.
Alan received his BS in Economics and MS in Accounting from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, his Juris Doctor magna cum laude from the University of Pittsburgh, and his LL.M (in Taxation) from New York University.
- Corporate, Finance & Business Transactions
- Intellectual Property
- Tax, Trusts & Estates
EducationNew York University School of Law, LL.M. (in Taxation), 1983University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1981Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, M.S., 1978Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, B.S. (in Economics), magna cum laude, 1978
Bar & Court AdmissionsDistrict of Columbia (inactive), 1981Pennsylvania, 1982New Jersey, 1983New York, 1986U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 1981U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 1982Certified Public Accountant, 1982U.S. Tax Court, 1983
October 30, 2020
CORE Industrial Partners LLC acquires J&K Ingredients Industry News CORE Industrial Partners LLC acquires J&K Ingredients
As published in: Snack Food & Wholesale Bakery October 29, 2020
As published in: ROINJ October 22, 2020
August 20, 2020
Cole Schotz represented The RJM Fund in connection with Morgan Properties' portfolio acquisition of nearly 80 apartment communities across 8 states
October 28, 2019
August 15, 2019
As published in: Bloomberg Big Law Business February 4, 2019
American Media Acquires The Adventure Sports Network From TEN: Publishing
As published in: CityBizList February 3, 2019
American Media Acquires 14 Adventure-Sports Media Brands From TEN: Publishing
As published in: Forbes February 1, 2019
August 15, 2018
As published in: Philadelphia Magazine January 31, 2018
January 30, 2018
As published in: REBusiness Online January 30, 2018
As published in: Philly Voice January 28, 2018
Advised Cove Property Group on $479M Construction Financing for Redevelopment of Hudson Commons Property
November 9, 2017
August 15, 2017
Michael Sirota, Arianna Christopher, Alan Rubin, Christopher Kula and Roger Iorio are representing Boca Raton, Florida-based AMI on its purchase of Us Weekly
As published in: The American Lawyer March 22, 2017
Our representation of American Media was included in the article, “AMI Buys Us Weekly from Wenner Media”
As published in: Women's Wear Daily March 15, 2017
Corporate Law May 22, 2017Alan Rubin
Corporate Law May 15, 2017Alan Rubin