Christopher Kula is a member in the firm’s Corporate, Finance & Business Transactions Department. Chris counsels emerging and established companies, entrepreneurs, investors, private investment funds, executives, and investment managers on corporate, finance and securities matters.
Focusing on domestic and cross-border matters in the “middle market,” Chris’s experience spans a number of industry sectors, including financial services, technology, media and real estate. Chris has a unique appreciation for the opportunities and challenges faced by participants in the private equity and venture capital industry, having worked in-house with a private equity firm followed by several years of law firm experience in that space. Additionally, his experience representing investment managers (as well as smaller public companies earlier in his career) allows him to help clients navigate the securities regulation and compliance challenges they face.
Sought out for his experience in forming and structuring a wide variety of private investment funds, joint ventures and holding companies, handling merger and acquisition transactions (for both strategic and financial acquirors), and transactions in the “private capital” market (including offerings, resales and equity compensation matters), clients value his ability to handle complex matters and his responsive, diligent and even-keeled style.
Drawing upon the firm’s expertise in related areas, such as tax, employment, intellectual property, trust & estates, real estate and litigation, Chris often takes a multi-disciplinary approach to provide clients with representation across a broad range of different needs.
Chris has acted as lead counsel or played a prominent role in the following representative transactions:
- Represented Modera Wealth Management, an investment adviser with over $2.3 billion in assets under management, in several acquisitions of regional investment advisers.
- Represented American Media in several acquisitions and divestitures of celebrity and entertainment publications, such as US Weekly, Men’s Journal and In Touch Weekly, as well as adventure sports titles, such as Surfer, Powder and Bike.
- Represented a real estate fund complex with commitments upwards of $670 million in connection with fund formation and ongoing fund counsel matters.
- Represented Onyx Equities with respect to the formation of a commercial real estate and debt fund with commitments upwards of $76 million.
- Represented a registered investment adviser with respect to the formation of a private equity fund to invest in residential mortgage backed securities with commitments upwards of $84 million.
- Represented HR Acuity in connection with a minority growth equity investment from Growth Street Partners, a West Coast based venture capital fund
- Represented a cloud and cybersecurity service provider in connection with its sale to a prominent Canadian-based technology platform company via merger.
- Represented several managing directors formerly from prominent global private equity firms in connection with exiting their positions and transitioning to various mid-market private equity firms.
- Represented a well-known online real estate brokerage portal in the sale of substantially all of its assets to Zillow.
- Represented a NY-based investment adviser in connection with the divestiture of its Florida office and related assets to a newly formed, Florida-based investment adviser run by a former executive.
- Represented the Blossom Hill Group in its joint venture with Bru Textiles, NV, a Belgium based textile manufacturer, for the purpose of establishing a “greenfield” venture into the US.
Chris is a member of the New York State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, and the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG). Prior to joining Cole Schotz, Chris was Counsel in Phillips Nizer’s Corporate & Business Law Department.
Chris received his J.D. from Hofstra University School of Law, where he was Associate Editor of the Journal of International Business and Law (formerly, the International Law Digest). While in law school, he was a judicial intern for the Honorable Lawrence M. McKenna in the Southern District of New York. Prior to law school, Chris attended Villanova University, where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology.
EducationMaurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, J.D.Villanova University, B.S.
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew York
As published in: Law360 November 7, 2019
As published in: FOLIO February 5, 2019
As published in: Bloomberg Big Law Business February 4, 2019
American Media Acquires The Adventure Sports Network From TEN: Publishing
As published in: CityBizList February 3, 2019
American Media Acquires 14 Adventure-Sports Media Brands From TEN: Publishing
As published in: Forbes February 1, 2019
Michael Sirota, Arianna Christopher, Alan Rubin, Christopher Kula and Roger Iorio are representing Boca Raton, Florida-based AMI on its purchase of Us Weekly
As published in: The American Lawyer March 22, 2017
Our representation of American Media was included in the article, “AMI Buys Us Weekly from Wenner Media”
As published in: Women's Wear Daily March 15, 2017
Newest Member Focuses on Domestic and Cross-Border Middle Market Transactions September 15, 2015
Corporate Law October 27, 2020Samantha B. Epstein and Christopher J. Kula
Corporate Law August 31, 2020Christopher J. Kula and Jennifer L. Horowitz
Corporate Law June 5, 2020Samantha B. Epstein, Philip R. Hirschfeld, Christopher J. Kula, Jennifer L. Horowitz and Roger M. Iorio
June 4, 2020Samantha B. Epstein, Philip R. Hirschfeld, Jennifer L. Horowitz, Roger M. Iorio and Christopher J. Kula
Corporate Law May 14, 2020Jennifer L. Horowitz, Samantha B. Epstein, Christopher J. Kula and Roger M. Iorio
Corporate Law May 13, 2020Samantha B. Epstein, Jennifer L. Horowitz, Roger M. Iorio and Christopher J. Kula
Corporate Law April 27, 2020Samantha B. Epstein, Christopher J. Kula and Roger M. Iorio
Corporate Law April 24, 2020Samantha B. Epstein, Christopher J. Kula and Roger M. Iorio
Corporate Law April 15, 2020Christopher J. Kula and Samantha B. Epstein
Alert – Federal Reserve Launches Main Street Lending Program and Other Mid-Sized Business Assistance
Corporate Law April 10, 2020Samantha B. Epstein, Christopher J. Kula and Roger M. Iorio
Corporate Law April 8, 2020Jordan A. Fisch, Jennifer L. Horowitz, Roger M. Iorio and Christopher J. Kula
April 7, 2020Christopher J. Kula, Jennifer L. Horowitz and Jordan A. Fisch
Corporate Law March 27, 2020Samantha B. Epstein, Roger M. Iorio, Arnold M. Zipper, Christopher J. Kula, Brian L. Gardner, Philip R. Hirschfeld and David J. Choyne
Corporate Law March 13, 2020Jordan A. Fisch, Jennifer L. Horowitz, Roger M. Iorio and Christopher J. Kula
Corporate Law December 5, 2017Christopher J. Kula and Rimma Tsvasman
Lexis Nexis/Matthew Bender October 2017Christopher J. Kula
Law360 February 8, 2017Christopher J. Kula
Fundraising for Mid-Sized PE Funds: Should You Use a Registered B/D?
FINalternatives December 6, 2016Christopher J. Kula
Mezzanine Lending Funds Bridging the Gap for Great Gains
Real Estate Weekly November 4, 2016Christopher J. Kula and Rab N. Nalavala
Corporate Law September 28, 2016