As a member of the firm’s Bankruptcy and Corporate Restructuring department, Dan has extensive experience in all facets of financial restructuring, complex insolvency law and bankruptcy proceedings, as well as commercial litigation. Dan has represented official committees of unsecured creditors, chapter 11 debtors, chapter 7 trustees and secured creditors in all aspects of chapter 11 proceedings and out-of-court restructurings. Dan has played a prominent role in the representation of a variety of clients, including:
Post Confirmation Trusts
- SunEdison Litigation Trust – Approximately 500 avoidance actions filed
- Collins & Aikman Corporation – Approximately 950 avoidance actions filed
- Enron Corp. – Approximately 1100 avoidance actions filed
- Delphi Corporation – Approximately 800 avoidance actions filed
- Tower Automotive – Approximately 130 avoidance actions filed
- UniCapital Corporation – Approximately 300 avoidance actions
ENERGY/OIL & GAS
- SunEdison, Inc. – Counsel to Albemarle Corporation in its capacity as a significant creditor and member of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- Boston Generating, LLC – Counsel to the Special Committee of the Board
- Energy & Exploration Partners, Inc. – Co-Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- Enron Corp. – Co-Debtors’ Counsel and Counsel to the Post Confirmation Trust
- Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation – Co-Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors and the Post Confirmation Trust
- Oil & Gas Production Company – Counsel to the Senior Secured Creditor in out of court restructuring
- Ryckman Creek Resources, LLC – Counsel to certain current and former officers and management
- Stone Energy Corporation – Counsel to current officers and management
- Chrysler, LLC – Co-Debtors’ Counsel
- Delphi Corporation – Co-Debtors’ Counsel and Post confirmation Trust Counsel
- Collins & Aikman Corporation – Co-Debtors’ Counsel and Post Confirmation Trust Counsel
- Tronox, Inc. – Co-Debtors’ Counsel
- Tower Automotive, Inc. – Co-Debtors’ Counsel and Post Confirmation Trust Counsel
- Guilford Mills, Inc. – Debtors’ Counsel
- Saltire Industrial, Inc. – Debtor’s Counsel
- Angelica Corporation – Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- Zloop, Inc. -- Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- UCI International, LLC – Co-Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- American Optical Services, Inc./MacKeyser Holdings, LLC – Debtors’ Counsel and Post Confirmation Trust Counsel
- Ames Department Stores, Inc. – Co-Debtors’ Counsel and Post Confirmation Trust Counsel
- Finlay Enterprises, Inc. – Co-Debtors’ Counsel
- Egenix, Inc. – Debtors’ Counsel
- NephroGenex, Inc. – Debtors’ Counsel
- Savient Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – Debtors’ Counsel
- SIGA Technologies, Inc. – Counsel to Albemarle Corporation in its capacity as a significant creditor and member of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- Clift Holdings, LLC – Debtors’ Counsel
- Omni Facility Services, Inc. – Debtors’ Counsel
- Orion Telecommunications, Inc. – Debtors’ Counsel
- St. Vincent’s Medical Centers of New York – Co-Debtors’ Counsel
- Prospect Park Networks, LLC – Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors and Chapter 7 Trustee
- Newbury Common Associates, LLC – Counsel to Secured Creditors
Dan has substantial experience in commercial litigation having represented parties in breach of contract claims, copyright and trademark infringement claims, director and officer liability claims and avoidance actions. In addition, Dan has represented clients in more than 500 mediations.
Dan is also an Adjunct Professor teaching trial advocacy at Fordham University School of Law.
Dan is a member of the New York State Bar Association, the New Jersey State Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, Turnaround Management Association and the Fordham Law Alumni Association. In addition, Dan was named to the list of New York Super Lawyers for the years 2012 through 2020 and was given the 2013 Rising Star Award by Fordham University School of Law in recognition of his extraordinary achievements in private practice. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology.
Dan serves as the Vice-Chair of the Board of Trustees for Cristo Rey Brooklyn High School and Chair of the Board Nominating and Governance Committee. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Fordham Law School Alumni Association, also chairs the Fordham Law Alumni Association Restructuring Affinity Group and sits on its Strategic Planning Committee. Dan is also a member of the board of directors for Southampton Bottling, LLC, a craft brewer based in Southampton, New York.
Dan earned his B.A. from Fordham University and his J.D. from Fordham University School of Law.
EducationFordham University Law School, J.D., 1999Fordham University, B.A., 1995
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew Jersey, 1999New York, 2000U.S District Court for the Eastern District of New YorkU.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York U.S. District Court of New JerseyU.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
November 2, 2020
Cole Schotz served as counsel to the Creditors' Committee in Think Finance, LLC, in the Northern District of Texas
November 25, 2019
September 24, 2019
September 13, 2018
September 20, 2017
As published in: Law360 August 22, 2017
Dan Geoghan discusses the judges decision in, "Scurria's Take: GM's Prebankruptcy Lenders Can't Shield Their Identities"
As published in: Wall Street Journal Pro December 12, 2016
Dan Geoghan was quoted in Vicki Young’s article, “Aéropostale and MGF Sourcing Agree on Settlement Terms"
As published in: Women's Wear Daily May 12, 2016
Daniel Geoghan was quoted in an article titled, " Bankrupt Newbury Gets Nod On Piecemeal Property Auction"
As published in: Law360 April 29, 2016
David Hurst, Nicholas Brannick, David Bass and Daniel Geoghan were mentioned in an article titled, "Yahoo Resists Releasing Email Account In Irish Bank Ch. 15"
As published in: Law360 March 1, 2016
David Hurst, Nicholas Brannick, David Bass and Daniel Geoghan were mentioned in the article, "Yahoo Must Give Up Emails In Ch. 15 Probe, Irish Bank Says"
As published in: Law360 February 25, 2016
As published in: The National Law Journal December 23, 2013
As published in: Thomson Reuters News & Insight By Caitlin Tremblay December 9, 2013
Privilege Review in Bankruptcy: A Practical Tutorial CLE Presentation at Cole Schotz New Jersey OfficeAttorneys Speaking: Daniel F.X. Geoghan, Ian R. Phillips and Mark TsukermanJuly 19, 2018
Bankruptcy & Restructuring Law April 1, 2020Daniel F.X. Geoghan