Jan Alan Lewis is a member of the firm’s Real Estate Department, concentrating in commercial office and industrial leasing, representing both landlords and tenants, on a local, regional and national basis. He has handled various complex real estate transactions on behalf of prominent owners, developers and companies throughout the United States, and he has frequently been retained as local counsel to represent tenants with respect to their leases in the Tri-State Area. Jan’s responsibilities have included the preparation, review and negotiation of leases and related documents for commercial (including office, industrial, warehouse and retail) and residential properties, brokerage agreements, and contracts of sale for the purchase and sale of commercial and residential properties.
Jan joined the firm in 1994 and has been a Member since 1998. His recent accomplishments include negotiating:
- A 200,000 square foot lease on behalf of the tenant, a publicly traded pharmaceutical company, for office space in Montvale, NJ (nominated for “Deal of the Year” by the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties)
- A 160,000 square foot lease extension and expansion on behalf of the landlord with Bio-Reference Laboratories for industrial space in Elmwood Park, NJ
- A 154,000 square foot lease on behalf of the tenant, a publicly traded healthcare company, for office space in Somerset, NJ (one of New Jersey’s largest recent office leases)
- A 130,000 square foot lease extension on behalf of the landlord with Scholastic Inc. for office space in the SoHo district of Manhattan
- A 66,800 square foot lease on behalf of the landlord for office space located in the garment district of Manhattan with The City of New York Department of Citywide Administrative Services
- A 55,000 square foot lease on behalf of the tenant, a camera lighting and grip rental company, for office and industrial space in connection with its relocation of its corporate headquarters from New York to Secaucus, NJ
- A 50,000 square foot lease on behalf of the tenant, a publicly traded natural supplement company, for office space in connection with its relocation of its corporate headquarters to Secaucus, NJ
- A 44,000 square foot lease on behalf of the tenant, a digital media company, for office space in Hudson Yards in Manhattan
- A 25,000 square foot lease on behalf of the landlord with Prada for its flagship store in the SoHo district of Manhattan
- A 25,000 square foot lease on behalf of the landlord with Forever 21 for its store in the SoHo district of Manhattan
Jan has been awarded an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell. He was selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers in 2008-2011. He was also featured in the 2012, 2015, 2017, and 2020 edition of the Best Lawyers in America. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology.
A member of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, as well as the New Jersey State Bar Association, New York County Lawyers’ Association and the American Bar Association, Jan has also been a frequent lecturer and has authored numerous articles on the subject of commercial leasing.
Jan earned his B.A., summa cum laude, from Lehigh University in 1979, and his J.D. from Temple University School of Law in 1982.
EducationTemple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1982; Environmental Law Journal, Contributing EditorLehigh University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1979
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew Jersey, 1989New York, 1983U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1983U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1983U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1989
August 20, 2020
August 15, 2019
August 15, 2018
As published in: Commercial Property Executive January 18, 2018
Advised Cove Property Group on $479M Construction Financing for Redevelopment of Hudson Commons Property
November 9, 2017
August 15, 2017
January 25, 2017
Cove Property is represented by Cole Schotz in joint venture with Baupost Nab in NY Office Building $330M Deal
As published in: Law360 December 14, 2016
Cole Schotz advised Cove on recent financing and acquisition of 441 Ninth Ave discussed on GlobeSt.com
As published in: GlobeSt.com December 14, 2016
As published in: The Real Deal November 16, 2016
August 15, 2016
Matthew Schneid and Jan Lewis mentioned in article titled, "Marketplace: Social Media Agency Expands With Hudson Yards Lease"
As published in: New York Law Journal October 28, 2015
As published in: Best Lawyers August 18, 2014
August 15, 2013
August 27, 2012