Nolan is a member in the Litigation Department at Cole Schotz. Nolan counsels clients from various industries in a broad array of commercial disputes, including disputes arising from construction projects, financing transactions, commercial foreclosure of property and equipment, shareholder/partnership conflicts and bankruptcy litigation. He has also represented manufacturers, retailers and property owners in products liability, toxic torts and general liability cases. He has also counseled and assisted clients in connection with probate litigation and applications for the appointment of guardians for family members.
Prior to entering private practice, Nolan was an assistant district attorney in Kings County, New York, where, among other duties, he was lead counsel on numerous jury and non-jury trials before the New York City Criminal and New York State Supreme Courts. His practice is concentrated in the state and federal courts of New York, with an emphasis on matters pending in the Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court.
A Member of the firm since 2013, Nolan has played a prominent role in representing an array of clients, including:
- A real estate developer in a dispute with its construction manager over the performance of a $100 million guaranteed maximum price contract;
- A corporate housing provider in connection with a lease dispute for its flagship location and, after the landlord was replaced by a court-appointed receiver, negotiating a new agreement with the receiver and the mortgage holder;
- A surety investigating and defending performance and payment bond claims and seeking indemnification from indemnitors;
- A publicly traded consulting company in defending claims brought by former clients and pursuing receivables;
- A condominium sponsor defending claims regarding the construction of a luxury apartment building brought by the condominium’s board of managers;
- A developer that required commencement of a special proceeding to compel a neighboring property owner to provide access to complete a construction project;
- A member of a limited partnership seeking to enforce his rights under the controlling agreement;
- A lender in connection with a commercial foreclosure action;
- A property owner seeking reimbursement for remediation costs of contaminated land from the discharging party;
- A mezzanine lender enforcing its right to pledges of collateral after default;
- An equipment lender seeking to seize its collateral after non-payment by the borrower;
- A foreign apparel manufacturer engaged in a dispute with a U.S.-based wholesaler over payment and quality of goods; and
- An individual seeking to be appointed as the legal guardian for her autistic sibling.
Nolan is a member of the board of trustees of the Mark Hindy Charitable Foundation and previously served as the president of the Regis High School Alumni Association. He is a member of the New York State Bar Association, the New York City Bar Association and the Regis Bar Association.
Nolan received both his B.A. and his J.D. from Fordham University.
EducationFordham University Law School, J.D., 1999Fordham University, B.A., 1995
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew York, 2000New Jersey, 2018U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2005U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2005
Real Estate & Construction Law May 19, 2020Nolan E. Shanahan and Jed M. Weiss
Real Estate & Construction Law January 29, 2020Nolan E. Shanahan and Adam H. Morsy
Real Estate & Construction Law May 28, 2019Adam H. Morsy and Nolan E. Shanahan
Real Estate & Construction Law February 14, 2018Adam H. Morsy and Nolan E. Shanahan
New York Law Journal July 13, 2015Nolan E. Shanahan and David T. Meglino