Wendy F. Klein, a Member in the Litigation Department, is a trusted business advisor who represents entities and individuals in all aspects of business disputes, including contract, employment and shareholder litigation, as well as in substantial trust and estate matters. Wendy advocates on behalf of her clients in New Jersey and New York state and federal courts, as well as in private and FINRA arbitrations and mediations, including in complex commercial, discrimination, restrictive covenant, partnership, bankruptcy, fiduciary liability, professional negligence and will contest cases. Wendy also has a significant appellate practice and has argued before the New Jersey Supreme Court, the New Jersey and New York appellate divisions, and the New Jersey Disciplinary Review Board. The New Jersey Superior Court frequently has appointed her in difficult cases to act as counsel, discovery master, or mediator.
A Member of the firm since 2003, Wendy is deputy chair of the Litigation Department and sits on the firm’s Executive Committee.
Wendy has successfully represented and advised a wide range of clients, including:
- A controlling shareholder defending against claims of minority shareholder oppression in a closely-held corporation;
- A law firm and its corporate partner who were sued for legal malpractice allegedly stemming from a buyout transaction of one shareholder by the other;
- An attorney facing disbarment for alleged misappropriation of trust funds;
- Partners seeking damages and dissolution of family-owned general and limited partnerships;
- A defense contractor from which a business partner was seeking substantial commissions;
- A commercial employer accused of sexual harassment and discrimination;
- An attorney who served as a trustee and business advisor whom beneficiaries claimed had breached his fiduciary duties in administering trusts;
- Multiple entities in bankruptcy adversary proceedings;
- A business owner being impersonated and defamed over social media;
- Commercial tenants enforcing a lease option to purchase the property;
- A financial services employer recovering valuable business assets taken by departing employees to establish a competing business;
- A surety the project owner sought to hold responsible for correction of construction defects;
- An employer alleged to be paying discriminatory compensation;
- Family members invalidating gifts and estate documents as the product of undue influence;
- A commercial employer enforcing common law and contractual restrictions against unfair competition;
- Homeowners disputing the insufficient compensation provided to them when their property was taken by eminent domain; and
- Principals of a construction company whom subcontractors were seeking to hold personally liable for payments owed.
Wendy served on the Bergen County Ethics and Fee Arbitration Committees and on the Nominating Committee for the Bergen County Bar Association. She is a Trustee of the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association and co-chair of its Grants and Charitable Giving Committee. She was also a barrister in the Sidney Reitman Employment Law American Inn of Court. She has frequently spoken on shareholder and LLC disputes and has served on panels with current and former Chancery Division judges regarding issues arising in LLC disputes. Wendy has written for numerous publications on employment and commercial law, including co-authoring chapters on franchise litigation and discovery practice. She also was a guest lecturer at Seton Hall Law School.
Wendy served as a law clerk for Justice Gary S. Stein of the New Jersey Supreme Court. She earned her B.A., magna cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania and her J.D. from Columbia Law School, where she was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and a founding member and articles editor of the Journal of Gender and Law.
EducationColumbia University School of Law, J.D., 1993; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Founding Member and Articles Editor, Journal of Gender and LawUniversity of Pennsylvania, B.A., magna cum laude, 1986
Bar & Court AdmissionsNew Jersey, 1994U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1994New York, 1996U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2013U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2013
Drafting and Litigating Restrictive Covenants in New Jersey and New York CLE Presentation at Cole Schotz New Jersey OfficeAttorneys Speaking: Wendy F. Klein and Jason R. FinkelsteinNovember 21, 2019
The Mechanics of Arbitration: From Agreement to Award, CLE Presentation at Cole Schotz New Jersey OfficeAttorneys Speaking: Wendy F. Klein and Michael R. YellinSeptember 22, 2016
Cole Schotz Docket Summer 2007Mitchell W. Abrahams and Wendy F. Klein
Cole Schotz Docket Winter 2007Wendy F. Klein and Randi W. Kochman