It is a common misconception that copyright is an issue only pertinent to artists, authors and musicians when, in reality, copyright impacts all who create original work. From purely artistic works to written work product, computer software, and website designs, our copyright attorneys work with clients to identify, protect, monetize and enforce these valuable assets. With years of art and entertainment industry experience, our copyright attorneys pride themselves in possessing a unique perspective of the copyright issues that are often overlooked by those who are understandably focused on their craft.
Our copyright attorneys assist clients in a wide range of protection and counseling activities such as registration, recordation, maintenance, and due diligence. We draft and negotiate development, collaboration, and work-for-hire agreements, as well as licenses and assignments of all levels of complexity. We counsel clients on the propriety and appropriate use of third-party works, and assist clients on both sides of copyright disputes. We also conduct audits for clients to identify opportunities for registration and monetization, to identify potential licensing revenue streams, to ascertain potential risks to be addressed, and to assist with formal corporate transactions. Whether our clients are creating original works or relying on third-party creations, our team has the capability and experience to assist.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a musician whose musical works were infringed by a major European record label.
- Successfully represented the estate of a well-known author in defending claims of copyright infringement and a demand for accounting in federal court.
- Represented a professional writer in a multi-year federal copyright infringement action against a major film studio and distributor.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of a major corporation accused of copyright infringement arising from the alleged unauthorized use of photographs on its website.
- Represented a graphic designer in the assignment of artwork to be used in all aspects of a major band’s marketing and branding.
- Represented a well-known New York-based gallery in the enforcement of copyrights and related licensing and consignment deals.
- Serve as counsel to a well-known California-based jeweler in connection with the protection and monetization of copyright-protected works and designs.
- Serve as counsel to two major media companies in connection with all aspects of their copyright portfolio.
- Successfully enforced the copyrights of numerous clients without the need for litigation, and successful pre-litigation defense against baseless infringement claims.
- Serve as counsel to numerous clients successfully monetizing copyrights through acquisition and/or disposition of those assets.
- Serve as counsel to multiple authors and screenwriters in connection with the exploitation of their work including, for example, the negotiation of publishing deals, co-authorship arrangements, life story rights agreements, and “ghost writer” agreements.