Trademark Portfolio Management
At Cole Schotz we understand the importance of building long-lasting, deep relationships with our clients. That’s why we also understand the importance for our clients to protect the trademarks that symbolize their own deep relationships with their customers. Our trademark and brand management attorneys bring with them decades of experience and knowledge across a diverse range of industries. Unlike many law firms, our trademark practice is more than just filing trademarks. We provide flexible and creative solutions to our clients throughout the life cycle of a trademark – from adoption and clearance through prosecution and on to licensing and enforcement. Clients praise the long-lasting partnerships we develop; understanding our clients’ businesses so that we can mold an overall brand protection strategy that accommodates and amplifies their business goals while mitigating the risks clients may face.
Our extensive international experience helps us guide our clients through international trademark clearance, filings, and maintenance. In addition to our traditional trademark practice, our experience extends to domain name registration and management, anti-counterfeiting efforts, and grey-market goods issues. We have helped countless start-ups identify their intellectual property assets and formulate budget-conscious branding strategies that are critical at all stages of growth, beginning at seed funding. We have also counseled our larger clients in maximizing the value of their existing portfolios, monetizing their brand investments through development and licensing, and strengthening their overall legal and business positions.
- Serving as counsel to an industry-leading producer of bone and joint restoration products in managing their extensive worldwide trademark portfolio. We ensure a consistent brand message across dozens of countries’ trademark offices. We also partner with our client’s marketing and sales teams on in-house training to improve and streamline internal processes and lower their legal costs. Our client’s marketing is innovative and creative, and we apply trademark law and concepts to amplify and strengthen the message.
- Representing the largest organ and tissue bank in the world, helping them manage an extensive trademark portfolio worldwide. We work closely with our client’s in-house marketing team throughout the trademark process – from clearance and selection to adoption and implementation – to build a strong, enforceable brand foundation.
- Counseling an exciting startup expanding from its start in the education space into a variety of industries. We have advised them in traditional trademark roles like clearance and filings as well as in identifying non-traditional assets that might be applied across industries as they expand. We aim to match our client’s creativity with our own creative solutions to accelerate their success.
- Serving as counsel to a fast-growing craft brewery in identifying and protecting their branding as they carve their niche in America’s beer market. Our client has unique marketing ideas, exciting cross-licensing opportunities, and a message of sustainability and flavor. We help our client get the most out of its marketing dollars while remaining as efficient as possible.
- Serving as outside counsel to several of the largest media companies in the United States, managing their United States and international trademark portfolios and counseling on issues relating to monetization and enforcement of those portfolios.
- Representing multiple food and drug manufacturers, managing their large portfolios of trademarks and other assets and licensing those assets as part of an overall brand strategy.
- Representing fine artists, fashion designers, photographers, jewelers, and other creative entrepreneurs in securing and monetizing their brand in an ever-competitive marketplace.
- Counseling a leader in the fantasy sports industry in the protection and management of its growing trademark portfolio.